Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Just for fun - snow!

So back to knitting. It's snowing here, which means that if you squint your eyes real hard you can see a couple of flakes!

Wendy had a good little video a day or two ago on cabling without a cable needle. I think several people commented on her knitting style, which made me want to ask - do you have any quirks or odd things you do that somehow contribute to your knitting? Me, I'm all about tiny movements in my knitting. I knit Continental, and my left index finger moves the yarn up ever so slightly. Not quite a wrap, not quite useful, but I can't seem to knit without it. For purling I tend to reach up with the right needle to grab the yarn rather than simply pushing down with my left finger.

A tripod is on my list, I swear. And yes, photography around here has tanked for a little bit while I find something interesting to shoot. Maybe I'll try to capture the snow!

I have completed a Fetching up to the thumb, I've been working on my funky cabled scarf, and have no progress to report on Monkey. Must finish! Love those socks.

Off to meetings, a yarn crawl, and possibly the doctor. Wheeee!

4 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe! I just finished my first fetching last nite, CO for it's mate..I have a scarf to do before my trip and Monkey socks are close! ;)

I thought Wendy's clip was good! I like seeing how others knit!

8:48 AM  
Blogger TheBunny said...

I knit continental too and my left finger does quite a bit of pushing and moving the yarn to better position it for grabbing.

To improve my stitch tightness (and, let's face it...I'm lazy) I started knitting backwards instead of purling. But I have to throw my yarn when I knit backwards because I am incapable of holding the yarn in my right hand.

It did do a lot for the uniformity of my stitches and it entertains me.

Do you hate purling? I hate purling (another reason to knit backwards) and I keep being told that pickers hate purling. I don't know why a whole style would simultaneously hate something but I do know that purling is a little hard on my hands.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I knit continental, but my left finger doesn't move at all - I definitely "pick."

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

I know Wendy's a fast knitter (though I see she says speed isn't something she concerns herself with), but I think I would shoot myself if knitting took so much fiddly movement for me! I'm a continental and i move my left finger a lot more than I think I do, but it doesn't move all that much. I might have to do a little video soon; I have a tripod!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home